The Chemistry section in the National Eligibility-Cum-Entrance Test (NEET) is ignored by a majority of aspirants. What they fail to realize is that this section has a 25% weightage in the examination. The decision to neglect this section can most likely cost them the chance to secure a seat in their dream college. So, scoring good marks in chemistry becomes essential. It may sound absurd but, some students skip the preparation for the Chemistry section altogether. It is a general perception among the aspirants that Chemistry is a tough nut to crack in the case of NEET especially and the syllabus to be covered is extensive.
Most students can prepare for the Biology section with relatively lesser struggle but face the maximum dilemma in the Chemistry and Physics sections. You can fetch good marks in the Chemistry section with a decent effort alongside the appropriate strategy and reference materials. This article will highlight the various tips to follow so that you can score good marks in NEET’s Chemistry section. Your score in this section should be decent enough to secure a good rank in the examination. As such, any NEET Aspirants should follow these tips to tackle the chemistry section efficiently:
- Distinguish the important chapters from the Syllabus. It is not possible to speculate the pattern of the Chemistry section because it tends to fluctuate routinely. But, it is a general observation that most of the questions asked are theoretical and are easy to tackle when you have a deep understanding of concepts mentioned in the NCERT textbook. Since Chemistry contains three sections – Physical, Organic and Inorganic Chemistry, it is essential to adopt a different strategy for preparing them.
Physical Chemistry is majorly numerical based, so the knowledge of the chapters from this topic and the formulas to apply become essential to tackle this section effectively. Practice the questions related to Physical chemistry regularly and go through the NCERT to develop your understanding of the topics.
Inorganic Chemistry is the section that revolves around the basic concepts in chemistry such as the structure of compounds, periodicity, electronic configuration etc. Prioritize covering the NCERT in-depth to tackle questions related to these topics without any difficulty. Memorize the necessary facts and apply them in the situation given in the question. You are good to go.
Organic Chemistry requires a systematic and proper understanding of the concepts and the best approach for their successive application in various scenarios. Since Organic chemistry focuses on reactions, it is essential to have sufficient knowledge about the different types of reactions, their mechanisms and properties etc.
- Prepare from NCERT and other reference books to refine your overall preparation. Since most of the questions that are asked in the Chemistry section are strictly based on the NCERT textbook, you should be thorough with the concepts and the basic idea behind these concepts. Preparation should also include other reference books but, covering the topics meticulously from the NCERT textbook should remain your priority. You can easily score good marks if you develop a strong base through the NCERT textbook and then proceed to other sources of information. You should also consult the NCERT Exemplar solutions to upgrade the level of your understanding because the Exemplar consists of questions belonging to the High Order Thinking Skills. Even though these questions are a little bit on the tougher end, these become significant for practice and clarity of concept because the exam is strictly based on the NCERT.
- Develop a habit of making notes because writing about the concepts will enhance the level of your understanding. Takedown the necessary points related to the topic you are studying because you’ll be able to recollect the information using the points during the revision. A quick revision of the necessary topics becomes easy when you have the important information compiled in the notes. You should also include the important questions related to each topic within your notes so that you can practice these questions during the revision phase.
- Practice the reactions, chemical equations and other numericals regularly because many aspirants tend to ignore the mistakes they usually commit during the practice sessions and fall into the same trap again during the examination. It can cost you the dream college you’ve aspired for, from the beginning of this journey. It is essential to notice your mistakes and avoid them at all possible costs in the examination to dodge the pitfall of negative marking. The number of negative attempts can degrade your performance significantly. So it is better to be safe than sorry.
- Additional practice from the sample papers and Previous year question papers will provide you with an overview of the pattern of the question paper and help in a comprehensive preparation for this examination. You should practice Some Basic Concepts of Chemistry NEET Important Questions and focus on improving upon your areas of weakness.
- Attempt the mock tests for NEET to gain an exam-like experience and solve questions in a time-bound manner. It is essential to attempt mock tests because they are a reflection of the status of your preparation. Since the difficulty level of the mock tests is relatively higher than the actual examination, they promote a better understanding of the concepts because you’ll need to ponder deep into the concepts to score good marks in the mocks. Your focus should be on practising more and more questions rather than improving your scores in the mock tests.
These were the tips you must follow to tackle the Chemistry section in NEET with ease and comfort. You can turn the odds in your favour by applying the right strategy and following the tips discussed above. It is up to you to improvise upon the strategy as and when required. The Chemistry section in this examination is scoring and demands an adequate level of hard work and dedication. If you try to cover the topics willingly and through developing a keen interest in the subject, you can easily fetch marks and pave the way to getting admission to your dream medical college. All the Best for your preparation!
Chris Mcdonald has been the lead news writer at complete connection. His passion for helping people in all aspects of online marketing flows through in the expert industry coverage he provides. Chris is also an author of tech blog Area19delegate. He likes spending his time with family, studying martial arts and plucking fat bass guitar strings.