Many kids hate numbers as they feel math is a hard subject. The reason is, math is a non-natural activity where it needs time to understand the concepts, derivations and formulas. Performing math is similar to art. Apart from these complexities, math is an easy subject when the kid starts to understand the concepts. Based upon educational books, math applications and live demonstrations, the child can feel easy and comfortable towards math books. This article may help your kid to enhance math learning with certain educational books, certain ways to boost your child’s math and to make math with fun activities.
TEN WAYS TO BOOST YOUR CHILD’S MATH
- As a parent, always make sure that your kid understands the math concepts. If not, make them clarify at an initial step. If you are done initially, your son/daughter may not find maths as a hard subject. Moreover, do not make your kid memorize meaningless rules. Make them understand the rules before working on math problems.
- Since math is related to plenty of numbers, kids may make messy activities while taking math notes. So always make sure that your kid writes the numbers clearly and neatly. To improve the number writing, provide graph papers or tracing letters.
- During the long holidays, by chance, your child might forget the mathematical concepts which are been taught in schools. So, always make your child remember those concepts in available hours of your vacation. Your kid may not forget the concepts when he/she is back to the school
- As a parent, don’t encourage the usage of calculators. Always make your child compute the math problems manually. This can help them to improve maths
- Make sure that your child does math homework regularly. Since few children find maths as a difficult subject so, they usually skip maths homework. As a parent ensure that your child does not skip the math homework.
- Apart from handling math notes, practice your child to work with textbook problems and practice problems. This can give them an overall impression of the maths problem. This makes them score high in assessments.
- Many kids find difficulty in handling word problems or statement problems. Address them at a very beginning stage. Practice your kid regularly with at least two statement problems per day. Moreover, suggest your kid read aloud, repeat the question and encounters a summary of the puzzle.
- Relate every maths problem with the real-time situation. Explain your kid, how math is implemented in our day-to-day habit. Teach them basic concepts with their favourite stuff. This can make more attentive towards math concepts.
- Take your kid to a nearby grocery shop and make them teach the exchange of money and returns of rupees. So that confesses how addition and subtraction plays an important role.
- Every kid likes pizzas, so buy pizza for them and teach a simple concept of fractions. Relate every concept of mathematics to the day-to-day stuff. They get more interest and excitement over maths.
MATH ACTIVITY AND LEARNING BOOKS FOR CHILDREN
To nurture interest in math, it is important to get them maths activity and learning books for your children. These books will positively make a good impact on your children. Some of the maths books which enhance math learning are listed below. Make sure that your kids read these books to have good conceptions in maths.
1. OLYMPIAD EXCELLENCE BOOK –
Everyone is aware of the Olympiad competitive exams. Olympiad exams are conducted for all the subjects based on the school curriculum. Olympiad excellence book for mathematics helps your kid to fight better in the competitive exam. Your child may feel comfortable and easy when he/she works out the math problems. The book also includes previous year question papers with solutions. Olympiad Excellence Book is available for all class students.
2. MATH POTATOES: MIND STRETCHING BRAIN FOOD –
“Greg Tang” is the author of the book – “Math Potatoes: Mind Stretching Brain Food”. The author designed this book full of creativity. If your kids find it hard to perform addition and subtraction, then this is the best book your child needs. The author splendidly portraits the concept of addition and subtraction so that the child may feel easy once completing this version. The book suits the grade one and above.
3. MATH FABLES: LESSONS THAT COUNT –
Another extraordinary writing by the author “Greg Tangs”. Counting is an essential thing before numbers. If you made teaching to count in an easy style, then the kid starts loving numbers. Similarly, even the author perceived the book in an easy style by presenting the counting in a creative method. As it creates excitement when counting, the child may start loving numbers at an early grade.
4. HOW MUCH IS A MILLION –
How much is a million is a boom written by the mathematician “David M Schwartz” and illustrated by “Steven Kellogg”. Most of the kids get messy while working with large numbers such as million, billion and trillion. In this book, the narrator ideally portrays the counting of large numbers in a fun and passionate learning style. The kids can also learn about the decimal values, able to learn about the place value. The book suits the kids who are learning class three and above.
5. THE NUMBER DEVIL: A MATHEMATICAL ADVENTURE –
The narrator “Hans Magnus Enzensberger” delightfully portraits the concepts of numbers in a style of story. This story narrates about a boy – Robert, who hates math to the core. He gets a nightmare on numbers where he sees exciting and magical numbers such as prime numbers, Fibonacci numbers, whole numbers, integers and many more. He also examines complex equations, algebra and geometry in the adventurous land. The author takes the number story in an adventurous mode and makes the children fall in love with numbers.
6. THE GREEDY TRIANGLE –
The greedy triangle is a book written by “Marilyn Burns” and “Syd Hoff”. The book is illustrated by “Gordon Silveria”. In the book of Greedy triangle, the author makes the children understand the concept of shapes such as polygon, hexagon and pentagon. Addition to the understanding of shapes, the author narrates the story of a triangle who gets bored, so changed its shape to the quadrilateral. The author takes the children in an impressive tone of education.
7. SIR CUMFERENCE AND THE FIRST ROUND TABLE –
Sir Cumference and the first round table is the picture book written by “Cindy Neuschwander” and “Wayne Geehan”. The author takes the concept of geometry in the way of fantasy. The author narrates the story with three main characters John Sir Cumference, his wife Lady Di of Ameter, and their son radius. The author narrates how these three characters joined hands with King Arthur to defeat the rival nation. When kids start reading this book, they get interested in the concept of geometry. Moreover, they can become well-versed in geometry. The book suits the class five and above.
8. FRACTALS, GOOGOLS AND OTHER MATHEMATICAL TABLES –
The book – Fractals, Googols and other Mathematical Tables written by “Theoni Pappas”. In the book, the author makes the kids explore with more mathematical concepts such as real numbers, exponents, dimensions and the golden triangle in a comical way. The students are also able to learn more about pie concepts, fractions and decimals. Apart from the numbers, kids can also ensure good learning in mathematical tables. This is a perfect math book for elementary kids.
9. THE ADVENTURES OF PENROSE THE MATHEMATICAL CAT –
A passionate mathematician “Theoni Pappas” is the author of the book – The Adventures of penrose the mathematical cat. The famous mathematically-minded cat “Penrose” takes its children on an adventurous trip. In that journey, the cat explains the maths concepts in an exciting and adventurous way. The author exquisitely describes the theories of mathematics such as square roots, fractions, decimals and many more. All kids will understand the complex math problems in an easy style. The book is planned above the age of seven.
10. A GEBRA NAMED AL –
The book is written by “Wendy Isdell”. The story revolves between a girl named Julie and a zebra names Al the gebra. The author portraits about the girl Julie who hate the concepts of algebra until she meets All the gebra. It takes the girl to the mathematical grassland and teaches her algebra in an easy method. Once after the end of the mathematical grassland journey, Julie finds very easy about the concepts of algebra. If your kid finds hard in memorizing algebra formulas and rules, get them this book. This book helps them your kid understand better about the algebra. The book suits well for the class seven and above.
11. ZERO THE HERO –
Zero the hero is an amazing story which was written by “Joan Holub” and “Tom Litchenheld”. The writer of this book described the value of zero. As zero doesn’t perform any operations, every number mock at zero. So, finally zero goes missing and the other numbers lose its worth. The author amazingly portrays the value of zero and makes zero as a value. By reading this book, students know the value of tens, hundreds, thousands, millions, billions and many more.
12. THE GRAPES OF MATH –
Another amazing book which was written by “Greg Tang” and illustrated by “Harry Briggs”. The book grapes of math is a non-fiction book where the author portraits the maths creatively and verbally. Even though it looks like rhyme, the author portraits the concept of addition and subtraction is astonishing style. This is a perfect book for the grades one and two.
13. MULTIPLYING MENACE: THE REVENGE OF RUMPELSTILTSKIN –
The book was written by “Pam Calvert” and illustrated by “Wayne Geehan”. Many kids find it difficult to understand the concept of multiplication and multiplication tables. The author narrates the story of Rumpelstiltskin who learns the concept of multiplication in a humorous way. The way the boy portraits the tables, multiplication concepts help the kids to involve more and encourage more towards the concept of multiplication. If your kid lacks in performing multiplication tables, then this is the perfect choice. The book is best suited for grade three and above.
MAKE MATH FUN
Every kid has a unique way of learning. The learning style differs for every kid. Before teaching math for your kids, always ensure that you give a fun learning. Because math is one of the hardest subjects as it relates to many formulas, expressions, rules and theories. Teach math for your kid in a fun way learning style. This can boost some attention to mathematics. Here are certain tips to make math fun and easier.
- Make math as a real and meaningful subject. Make your kid understand the logic behind the formula, rather than memorizing. Memorizing formula will help only till your child’s examination. If you make understand the logic behind the formulas, then the child will never forget.
- Reward your child. If your child completes a math homework or any task in mathematics, reward them by small gifts or desserts. This makes them more motivated toward math problems. Moreover, they practice regularly and repeatedly to get awards from you.
- Practice more with number puzzles, number series and number games. The child gets more curious about solving the problems and tricks. Moreover, they spend more time solving tricks and puzzles rather than spending much time on televisions, smartphones and tablets.
Maths is a very easy subject and it depends on the way of understanding a child’s understanding. It also differs from our teaching method. If you take a necessary step in advance, your child will do excellent in mathematics. MAke everything into a fun-way learning because only fun-way learning helps the kid to remember the logic for a long time. If possible, show them live demonstrations, provide live examples. These demonstrations and examples help your kid to have a piece of practical knowledge and exposure. Spend more time with your kids and identify their problems and needs. If they lack in any of the kinds of stuff, make sure that you rectify it. Rectifying in advance provides betterment for the kids.
Varshini Murali is a content strategist of SchoolBasix, who research on latest topics what education industry speaks about. Specializes in handling blogs that potential means of marketing and circulating across social media and holds a masters degree in marketing.