Java remains one of the most preferred programming languages. From feature-rich mobile apps to advanced software applications, Java programming is everywhere. Java’s compatibility with a diverse range of tools and technologies make it so useful and comprehensive. Those tools not just make programming easier but also drives innovation and efficiency.
In this blog, we will discuss some of the tools most widely used alongside the Java programming language. We will cover a range of tools that meets the need of every Java developer – from beginners to the most experienced ones. Keep scrolling to learn in detail about some incredibly useful Java tools.
Useful Tools for Java Developers
- Eclipse IDE
Eclipse is one of the Integrated Development Environments loved most by Java developers around the world. The Eclipse IDE helps in some of the most critical areas of Java programming. The IDE also features a Java Development Tools project. This provides an array of plugins to help you develop different kinds of Java solutions.
The Eclipse Marketplace Client provides a range of plugins and there is also the alternative to create custom ones according to the needs. The main features of Eclipse that attract developers are Windows Builder, Maven integration, Mylyn, XML editor, CVS client, PyDev, Git client, among others.
Key features of Eclipse IDE
- It helps you in code completion without any hassle and errors.
- With Eclipse, you can easily do refactoring and syntax checking.
- You can combine language support using the IDE.
- The Java Development Tools (JDT) project provides an array of plugins.
Download Link: Eclipse
- Apache Maven
Apache Maven is a project management tool for software developers. The platform is based on the concept of the project object model (POM). With Maven, you can seamlessly manage a project’s build, reporting, and documentation from a central control panel. Maven is the development and maintained by the Apache Software Foundation.
Key features of Apache Maven
- It has a simple project setup and you can start a new project module in seconds.
- Enables you to easily write plugins using the Java platform.
- Instantly access new features with very little configuration.
- Easy dependency management and deployment outside Maven.
- Maven features a central repository of Java Archives (JARs).
Download Link: Apache Maven
Key features of NetBeans
- It supports all the latest Java tools and libraries.
- Enables you to code rapidly and smartly.
- NetBeans helps you to write bug-free codes.
- Efficient project management and rapid UI development.
- Offers superior support for C/C++ for PHP developers.
- You can use NetBeans in all operating systems that support Java, be it Windows, Linux, or Mac OS.
Download Link: NetBeans
JUnit is one of the best developer-side software testing platforms on the Java Virtual Machine. With this platform, you can conduct a diverse range of testing for all your Java projects. It’s an open-source platform used widely by Java developers worldwide. The latest version of the tool is JUnit 5.
Key features of JUnit
- Using JUnit, you can prepare input data and setup fake objects.
- It enables you to load the database with a known set of data.
- Provides annotations so that you can have a fixture run before and after every test.
- It enables you to easily write and run codes for tests.
- Offers annotations for identity test methods.
- With its assertions for expected test results, testing becomes more efficient.
Download Link: JUnit
JRat is a Java runtime analysis toolkit. It’s a low overhead, easy-to-use, and open-source tool for Java developers. The platform monitors the execution of an app that conducts performance measurements. If your code runs on Java 5 or above, then you should let JRat watch the program run. Just add a single argument to the Java command and launch the program. Then view the JRat results. You can view the results after shutting down the application. JRat will create data files having information about your program’s execution. JRat usually puts these data in a subdirectory under the directory from which you ran the program.
Key features of
- Allows you to easily transfer files to any location of your computer.
- You can remotely view the runtime on JRat.
- It supports website redirection functionality.
- Allows you to take a screenshot and keep a record of the issue on your computer.
Download Link: JRat
- Apache JMeter
It’s a software testing tool that enables you to measure the functional behavior and performance of your website. You can also test databases, web services, etc. JMeter was originally designed for testing web applications but has been expanded to test all kinds of Java applications. You can use Apache JMeter for testing performance both on static and dynamic applications. You can also use JMeter to simulate a heavy load on a server, a network, or objects to test their strength and performance.
Key features of JMeter
- It can load and performance test different applications, servers, and protocol types.
- You can run a full-featured test IDE that enables faster test plan recording.
- It offers a complete and ready-to-present HTML report.
- JMeter provides complete and 100% Java purity.
- Offers caching and offline analysis of test results.
Download Link: JMeter
- Oracle JDeveloper
JDeveloper is a free integrated development environment for Java programming. The IDE simplifies the development of Java-based solutions by addressing every step of the software’s lifecycle. JDeveloper also offers support for end-to-end development of Oracle’s platforms and software applications.
Key features of Oracle JDeveloper
- It can generate servlets that operate as EJB clients.
- JDeveloper supports the creation and editing of web socket annotation for Java classes.
- You can specify a configuration class to hold the metadata of the application.
Download Link: Oracle JDeveloper
VisualVM is a visual tool integrating command-line Java development kit tools. The platform offers lightweight profiling capabilities to improve Java programming. VisualVM has been designed for both development and production time use. The tool is widely used by Java developers working on big development projects. It not just enhances profiling capabilities but also increase code quality.
Key Features of VisualVM
- VusualVM shows both local and remote Java development processes.
- It monitors the performance of processes and their memory.
- The tool also visualizes process threads.
- It reads the basic information about crashed Java processes.
- You can easily analyze the Core Dumps using VisualVM.
Download Link: VisualVM
BlueJ has become one of the most preferred integrated development environments among Java developers. It’s a cross-platform IDE with a range of robust features. BlueJ has an editor that enables the programmers to scan the code visually, develop dynamic objects, and inspect them as well. They can also invoke the code simply by typing it in without even the need for compilation.
Key features of BlueJ
- BlueJ is very useful for learning object-oriented programming.
- It features a completely different design from other development environments.
- The main screen of BlueJ shows the class structure.
- You can seamlessly create and test objects.
- A clean and simple user interface helps in simple experimentation with objects.
- BlueJ is incredibly useful for Java beginners. It speeds up the learning process.
Download Link: BlueJ
- IntelliJ IDEA
You can use IntelliJ IDEA to gain deeper insights into Java programming. IntelliJ IDEA offers features such as smart completion, static member completion, chain completion, cross-language refactoring, data flow analysis, among others. It helps you to perform typical coding in an editor-centric development environment. The platform speeds up the development cycle by providing build tools, version control tools, database tools, and test runner, among several other capabilities.
Key features of IntelliJ IDEA
- It offers a fast and intelligent coding experience by offering the most relevant suggestions.
- IntelliJ features instant and clever code completion along with real-time code analysis.
- Visual GUI builder, ant, and code editor for the XML and Java make it the most preferred IDE.
- It is used widely for Java mobile application development and similar projects.
- Integrated version control systems, multiple support languages, and frameworks are some of the most powerful features of IntelliJ IDEA.
Download Link: IntelliJ IDEA
- Apache Groovy
Apache Groovy is an optionally-types and dynamic language. It has static typing a static compilation capability for the Java platform. The language is designed to improve developers’ productivity. It has a concise, familiar, and easy-to-learn syntax. Groovy is a domain-specific language and integrates easily with every Java program. It also offers compile-time meta-programming and functional programming.
Key features of Groovy
- Concise, easily readable, and expressive syntax together make this an extremely useful tool for Java developers.
- Capabilities like closures, builders, runtime, and compile-time meta-programming and functional programming enhance development efficiency.
- Seamlessly integrates and interoperates with all Java and third-party libraries.
- Groovy is impressively useful for writing concise and maintainable tests for all kinds of Java programming.
Download Link: Apache Groovy
Condenvy is a commercial Java development environment. It’s available in three editions. These are the developer, team, and enterprise versions. Condenvy has a custom runtime environment that simplifies debugging and testing of Java code. The platform provides a browser-based editor that can be employed for writing high-quality code.
Key features of Codeenvy
- It offers attractive features such as code completion, refactoring, and syntax highlighting.
- Codenvy supports agile methodology which makes your app development process faster and more efficient.
- It’s a cloud-based and on-demand Java development framework.
- The framework enables you to seamlessly debug and simultaneously run multiple projects.
Download Link: Codeenvy
Spark is a simple and highly expressive Java web development framework for rapid software development. Spark aims to provide an alternative for Java developers who want to build expressive web applications with minimal boilerplate. Spark is designed to make Java programming more productive.
Key features of Spark
- Spark lets you take full advantage of the Java virtual machine.
- It helps you to easily use the extensive ecosystem of JVM for writing high-quality codes.
- Spark is one of the best Java tools for microservices. It features REST API to serve JSON in less than ten lines of codes.
- The platform supports an array of template engines.
Download Link: Apache Spark
- Java Development Kit
Java development kit is one of the most fundamental and most useful tools for writing codes in the programming language. The JDK includes a Java runtime environment, a Java compiler, and Java APIs. JDK is the first thing you need to get started with Java programming. JDK 15 is the latest version of the kit. It introduces an array of new features.
For instance, in JDK 15, hidden classes cannot be used by the bytecode of other classes. These are created for frameworks that generate classes at runtime. Hidden classes are part of an independently uploaded access control nest. This version also features new text blocks. With this Java aims to simplify the code writing with easy-to-express strings spanning several lines of the source code.
Key features of the Java Development Kit
- Provides a complete ecosystem for starting Java development.
- Supports multiple exceptions in a single catch block.
- Offers automatic type inference in generic object instantiation.
- Offers APIs to test and experiment with new features.
Download Link: Java development kit
Cobertura is a reporting tool that you can use to calculate the test coverage for a codebase. Using the tool, you can measure the percentage of branches or lines accessed by unit tests in a Java development project. Cobertura can also be used to identify the parts of a Java program lacking test coverage.
Key features of Cobertura
- The tool enables line and branch coverage in a detailed tree-view of code.
- You can view source code and colored codes according to line coverage.
- Cobertura filters out uninteresting classes and packages.
- You can generate reports in HTML or XML.
- Shows the percentage of lines and branches covered for each class and package associated with the project.
Download Link: Cobertura
Considering the popularity and diverse usages of the Java programming language, these tools are updated constantly. With every new version, the developers of the tools introduce some new features and fix issues. If you use Java for a diverse range of development projects, most tools are would be incredibly useful in terms of productivity. Whether you build a feature-rich Android app or a robust enterprise software these Java tools will be your reliable companion.
Amulya is a senior software developer at Java India, a leading Java development company with a global clientele. She is enthusiastic about the virtually limitless world of Java and its libraries. He writes on topics related to Java programming, web app development, and mobile app development.